Josh believes the Spanish club students at his school have an unfair advantage in being assigned to the Spanish class they request. He asked 500 students at his school the following questions: "Are you in the Spanish club?" and "Did you get the Spanish class you requested?" The results are shown in the table below.
Spanish Club Not in Spanish ClubTotal
Received Spanish class requested 265 100 365
Did not get Spanish class requested 70 65 135
Total 335 165 500
Josh determine if all students at his school have an equal opportunity to get the Spanish class they requested. Show your work and explain your process for determining the fairness of the class assignment process.
365 students out 500 got the Spanish class they requested. The rest 135 didnt get the Spanish class they requested.
So this means that not all students have an equal opportunity to get the Spanish class they requested. Only 73% of students get the class they want. The other 27% are stuck in a class they dont want.
It also doesnt help a student get the Spanish class they requested by being in the Spanish club or not being in the Spanish club. In fact, more students in the Spanish club than not in th Spanish club polled that they didnt get the class they requested.
Although, 27% get stuck with a Spanish they didnt request, a lot more get the Spanish they requested. But not all students have an equal opportunity to get the Spanish class they requested.
1. Josh requested for a Spanish club then asked his students how many got the Spanish class and how many did not.
So he asked 500 students for the questions:
The result was
=> got the Spanish class = 265 100 365
=> did not = 70 65 135
=> The total was 335 165 500
Thus, this show that only 335 students were able to get the Spanish class they requested and there are still 165 students do not received any Spanish class.
Thus, this is not fair to the other students.